Tuesday, September 10, 2013

What My Students Are Saying...

As Mike wrote in his most recent blog entry "On the eve of week 2", this first week has highlighted for me how well we (myself included until a year ago) train our students in a traditional assessment model to see the grade and points as the goal of learning despite the fact that few of us went in to teaching with that as our philosophy. I am astounded by the number of times in the last week a student has asked, "So, will this count towards my grade?" But, as Mike did, I have tried to reassure my students that they will be okay... more than okay, I hope.

Two reflections to share, borrowing the words of these budding empowered learners themselves:

1. I had a student write on the bottom of her very first in-class essay, "You won't be able to tell from this test, but I did read the book. I tried my best, so I hope that is okay." My new mantra: your best is ALWAYS good enough!

2. Last year, I did some exit polling at the end of the year to see how students felt about Empowered Learning. The results were fantastic. But I realized that I hadn't asked them how they felt at the beginning, and I think that's really worth asking as well. So, I have. Here are some of my favorite responses from my students today:
  • "I'm very excited about learning how to be a better writer."
  • "I think your grading system is fair and cool. I like it a lot. I'm nervous about getting good grades."
  • "I don't really understand it. Once I understand the grading system more, I will be more comfortable."
  • "I think it's very fair. It's not something I'm used to, but I'll get the hang of it."
  • "I like how it sounds, getting a grade on the end result. I might kind of dislike not being able to see the grade till the end but that's okay."
  • "I'm worried about this grading system because I won't be able to constantly check my grade."
  • "I think that it is probably a good system because it isn't averaged and if you keep improving you get a better grade."
  • "I think it will be fun but it will be difficult to explain to my parents."
I have told my students two things in these past days: I promise to be fair and honest about your skills every step of the way, even when it is hard, and I know it will take time for you to trust that promise.

"Risk anything! Care no more for the opinion of others ... Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth." ~Katherine Mansfield, Journal entry, 14 October 1922

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for helping students take more ownership and cotrol of their own learning-- and thanks for modeling continuous improvement!

    Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete