Sunday, September 1, 2013

D minus 2...

D minus 4 (cont.)

"Here are three things we can say about the fact that we are all here now. One, the subject is World History. Two, I'm your teacher. And three, this is 9Camp - Room 10.

"Only one of these is true...

"Maybe not the first one. I know your schedule says World History. To earn a diploma you have to take World History. There will be world history questions on the MME and ACT.

"But this course is not really about world history. It's about you. It's about how you can learn to learn - confidently and independently. World history is the timber we'll use to learn how to make a ship. The Humanities Assessment Criteria are the tools and hardware that will help you construct the ship. When it's ready the ship will sail with you at the helm. And you'll be able to navigate not only the sea of world history but the entire ocean of the social sciences.

"I'm uncomfortable suggesting that the second proposition - 'I'm your teacher' - is true. I've always felt funny about calling myself a teacher - especially at the beginning of a course. It seems a bit presumptuous to consider oneself a teacher before knowing if anyone has learned anything. So for now I'll be your instructor, coach, cheerleader, devil's advocate, and fussy quality control inspector. If, at the end of the semester, it turns out you've learned something, and you feel like I had something to do with it, then I'll let you decide whether or not I'm a teacher.

"So I guess it must be the third thing that's true. Welcome to 9Camp - Room 10, Black Hawks. I'm Mike Barry and it's going to be an awesome year!"

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught."Winston Churchill

No comments:

Post a Comment