Friday, August 29, 2014

Why call it Empowered Learning?

I finally understand why a group of my colleagues chose a fancy name, Empowered Learning, for their journey.  They decided to change the way they handle assessments and student engagement.  It seemed like they were simply taking the MYP assessment criteria and applying them to every assignment they gave, so why the need for a fancy new name?  I think it's all about framing.

As I dive in to using only standards based grading this year, I anticipate some push back from students and their parents.  After all, change can be a scary thing.  It's fair for parents to want what's best for their students.  They have their kids' best interests in mind.  Fortunately we teachers do, too.  Whenever I am challenged (I mean that in a good way) about the new and improved way I am running my class, I will tell people I am empowering students to learn.  The way I am empowering students is by helping them to reach a set of performance standards rather than assigning points to tasks.  Somehow I don't think a parent would say to me, "Well I don't want you to empower my student to learn!"  The parent or student might need reassurance, and that is absolutely fine.  However, if I were to answer that I decided not to use points anymore in favor of using standards based grading, now there is something to resist.

When I think about it, my own evaluation is based on a set of standards.  In fact, these standards are shown to me in advance.  During an evaluation my administrators don't say, "You earned 85/100 points on giving tests, 80/100 on contacting parents, and 90/100 on classroom management.  You have an average of 85%."  My administrators tell me how well I performed against a set of standards.  Now I will be gauging the performance of my students according to a set of standards, helping them to reach those standards, and empowering them to learn.  Learning how to reach a specific standard is a skill that transfers to other areas outside of school.

No comments:

Post a Comment